Worcestershire sauce is pungent, tangy, fermented sauce which is used to season fish and meat. Worcestershire sauce is made by combining malt vinegar with other flavouring agents like garlic, lime, molasses, anchovies, onions, tamarind, palm sugar, soy sauce and mixed to give that distinct taste Worcestershire sauce. Substitute for Worcestershire sauce is used to make vegetarian dishes and also when you are making a recipe, and you are out of your Worcestershire sauce.
Herein are a substitute for Worcestershire sauce and its benefits:
Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with mushroom soy sauce:
- Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with mushroom soy sauce:
- Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with cooking apples:
- Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with soy sauce:
- Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with tamari:
- Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with brown vinegar:
- Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with apple cider vinegar:
- Few other natural recipes as a substitute for Worcestershire sauce:
- Different ways in which you can use Worcestershire Sauce
- Benefits of Worcestershire Sauce
- Combine one cup of cider vinegar with ¼ cup of mushroom soy sauce, 1/3 cup of dark molasses, ¼ cup of water, three tablespoon of lemon juice, one teaspoon of onion powder,1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon of ginger powder, 1.5 teaspoon of salt, 1.5 teaspoon of mustard powder, ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 1/8 teaspoon of allspice or clove powder, 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom powder and ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Mix everything properly, and then put this mixture in saucepan.
- Boil for 10 minutes. Then sieve and when it is completely cold, and room temperature transfers on an airtight container and refrigerate.
Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with cooking apples:
- Combine 1.4 kg of cored and cubed apples, with 900gms of brown sugar, six garlic bulb, 1 gallon of malt vinegar, four tablespoons of salt, two tablespoons of ginger powder, 2.5 tablespoons of cayenne pepper and two tablespoons of cloves powder.
- Mix this mixture properly and then boil for 1.5 hours and then simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Blend this mixture, cool and put in airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with soy sauce:
- Combine ¾ cup of soy sauce, two tablespoons of tamarind extract, two tablespoons of molasses, one tablespoon of salt, one tablespoon of lemon juice, one chilli cut in two halves, one nutmeg seeds, one inch of julienne cut ginger, one inch of lemon peel and six cloves.
- Mix properly and then boil for ten minutes. Sieve and put in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with tamari:
- Combine ¼ cup of tamari, six tablespoons of water, six tablespoons of brown rice syrup, two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, one teaspoon of ginger powder, one teaspoon of barley malt syrup, 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, half teaspoon of onion powder, ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon of clove powder.
- Mix thoroughly and stir for 5 minutes. Pour this mixture into airtight container and refrigerate. Star using after few days until that time allows the flavours to emerge and mature.
Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with brown vinegar:
- Combine 500 ml of brown vinegar, one finely sliced garlic, one green apple peeled, cored and cut in a cube shape, half teaspoon of ginger paste, one tablespoon of honey, one tablespoon of molasses, ¼ teaspoon of allspice, ¼ teaspoon of clove grounded and one teaspoon of chilli paste.
- Mix everything appropriately and then simmer this mixture in a sauce pan for about 1.5 hours.
- Sieve and take for use or store in the refrigerator.
Substitute for Worcestershire sauce with apple cider vinegar:
- Combine half cup of apple cider vinegar, two tablespoons of soy sauce, two tablespoons of water, one tablespoon of brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon of mustard powder, ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon of onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and ¼ teaspoon of ginger paste.
- Mix everything properly and simmer the mixture for one minute, when it is cool store in a refrigerator.
Many people find A1 steak sauce similar in flavour and a good substitute for Worcestershire sauce. And it is also readily available. Many people also find the tamari soy sauce an excellent alternative to Worcestershire sauce.
Few other natural recipes as a substitute for Worcestershire sauce:
- Combine one teaspoon of soy sauce, one teaspoon of white vinegar, one teaspoon of tamarind paste, 1/8 teaspoon of clove powder and 1/8 teaspoon of hot sauce. Mix everything properly and use as a substitute for Worcestershire sauce.
- Combine two tablespoons of red wine vinegar, two tablespoons of fish sauce and 1/8 teaspoon of salt mix everything properly it will give similar flavour and smell as Worcestershire sauce and can be used for grilling.
- Combine one tablespoon of lemon juice, one tablespoon of garlic powder, one tablespoon of molasses, one tablespoon of soy sauce, one tablespoon of vinegar, 3.4 tablespoons of hot sauce and half tablespoon of sugar. Mix thoroughly and use, this substitute for Worcestershire sauce is used in dips.
- You can prepare 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce by adding one-fourth teaspoon of sugar in about 7 drops of hot Tabasco sauce.
- A tarty Worcestershire sauce variant can also be used as a substitute for Worcestershire Sauce. A-1 steak sauce is a variant of Worcestershire sauce. You can use that or equal amount of HP sauce as a substitute for Worcestershire Sauce.
- Simply using red wine works as a pretty good substitute too. There are just minor taste and appearance changes that can be curbed by increasing its quantity.
- Simply using Soy Sauce can work as a great substitute for Worcestershire Sauce too. The taste will be different from the one you are used to, but you won’t be complaining in the end.
- Oyster sauce can also be used as an amazing substitute for Worcestershire Sauce. Only the difference is that its flavor will be more inclined towards the Asian side.
- The fish sauce works as an easy substitute for Worcestershire Sauce. Fermented fish is a necessity for both the sauces, so it will work.
Different ways in which you can use Worcestershire Sauce
The most common use of Worcestershire Sauce as we know is marinating a steak. However, there are other uses of it and let us find out what they are:
You might find this amusing but it is not. You can use Worcestershire Sauce to add flavor to other uncooked sauces. Not only this, but you can also use Worcestershire Sauce to cut through the inherent taste of barbeque sauces. Add some Worcestershire Sauce to pan sauce and take the flavor of your dish to another level.
2.Soups and Chilis
Add richness to the flavor of your soups by adding Worcestershire Sauce as an ingredient. No one will be able to recognize this as an ingredient but they will certainly appreciate it.
Just like soy sauce and fish sauce act as a substitute for Worcestershire Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce can also be used as a substitute for fish and soy sauce. Add Worcestershire Sauce to bland and boring dishes like tofu and make the dish yummy and enticing.
Add Worcestershire Sauce to the drinks such as Bloody Mary and it won’t taste like a foreign ingredient for drinks. You can try it with any drink to give them a different taste.
Benefits of Worcestershire Sauce
If you thought that this condiment has only one benefit and that too is to add flavor to various dishes, then you are very wrong. Its benefits are more than what you think which makes the sauce even more desired.
- Thiamine present in Worcestershire Sauce improves mental health.
- If you experience motion sickness then Worcestershire Sauce can work wonders in improving it.
- Adding Worcestershire Sauce to your dishes can improve the health condition of people with osteoarthritis.
- Worcestershire Sauce contains an ingredient called anchovies, which consists of Niacin Acid. This acid helps to keep the digestive system healthy.
- Worcestershire Sauce contains vitamin K, which is helpful for women who bleed heavily during periods.
- Vitamin C present in Worcestershire Sauce is an antioxidant, which helps to keep cancers and heart diseases at bay.
- You enjoy various skin benefits as well when you eat Worcestershire Sauce.
- Worcestershire Sauce contains many Vitamin B6 ingredients, which keeps the immune system strong and healthy.